Two sad departures

Sadly, it's a moment to say goodbye to two people who, in different ways, influenced my childhood and adolescence.

First of all, came the news of the death of Gerry Anderson, whose work was a key element in my formative years. From Supercar through Fireball XL5, Stingray, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, UFO, and Space 1999, his visions of the future were inspirational. He died over Christmas at the age of 83. This is arguably his most successful creation, and the one for which he is best known.



Second, when I graduated to musical inspiration, and discovered the sweet sounds of soul, Rescue Me was a song that could be relied upon to get my feet moving. It is one of the most uplifting tunes ever recorded, in my book. So it is with sadness that I read that Fontella Bass is no longer with us, having gone to the great dancefloor in the sky at the age of 72. This is the tune in question.

No comments:

Post a Comment