Interview With The Astaires



Another new band who are creating a buzz is The Astaires.  They recently recorded a tune, Mail Your Love, which is guaranteed to get the pulses racing with its strong garage rock sound.  We caught up with their singer, Cromm Fallon, and put some questions to him.

Who is in The Astaires?

The Astaires are made up of Cromm Fallon, Jonny Catchings, and Ron Paul Gavino.

Where are you based?

We are based out of Las Vegas, NV.

Tell me a little about your local music scene.

The music scene out here is shit. Very few venues to play at and the majority of kids out here listen to hardcore screamo music.

When did you form?

We formed like a month ago... maybe.

How did the band get together?

I've actually been friends with Ron Paul since 7th grade, so we've been jamming ever since then. We eventually got serious and started the band Acton Town. After playing for 2 years, the bass player, who we also knew since 7th grade, decided to leave the band, so I got my good friend Jonny to join since we're pretty much brothers.

You were formerly known as Acton Town. Why the name change?

The bass player left so we felt as if it was a good idea for a fresh start.

Which bands/artists would you say have been a particular influence on you?

Lots of 60's garage/psychedelic rock such as The Seeds, The Sonics, The Kinks, etc. Plus bands such as Oasis, The Dandy Warhols, Louis XIV, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Horrors. There's a lot more too haha




Are there any other cultural influences that you would say are important?

The mod scene for sure. It's about looking good, showing up at the right events, and having a damn good time while looking fucking good haha.

You uploaded a tune recently, Mail Your Love. Who wrote the song and what is it about?

I (Cromm) wrote the song about a year ago, and it's pretty much about wanting a chick to come over to my place for the night haha.

Mail Your Love has a strong garage rock feel. Were you aiming for that sound?

Oh yea definitely. I loving having my music raw. Check out my solo stuff it was pretty much recorded with one mic. I wanted to capture that 1965 loud mod sound but even more aggressive, and I was extremely happy with the results. Keep in mind, this is all home recorded!

Who played keyboards on the tune?

The keys were done on a vintage farfisa organ by Zach Flynn who is a good friend of Dakota McCullough who recorded us. He occasionally plays keys for Dakota's band called The Remedies.

Are you planning to release more tunes in the near future?

Yea we plan on having an EP released at least by next month.

Can we expect a similar sound?

Expect more of a heavier guitar sound from the recording of Mail Your Love. We recorded our song 'I Want it Now' a few days ago, and damn, it sounds powerful. We got some harmonica on the track too. The farfisa will also be back for more songs.

If you were shipwrecked on a Desert Island, and could take one album with you, which one would you choose?

I would have to say Odessey and Oracle by The Zombies. Just a beautiful, brilliant album.

What are your future plans?

Well from what I hear, Mail Your Love is going to be put on a compilation from Royale Records! We also plan to have our EP finished within a month. Over the summer we hope to tour the west coast of America. I'll be out in London playing with my dad John Fallon in his set for Psych-Fest Alldayer June 29th. I'm hoping to bring the band with me so we can do some shows for The Uprising Tour while we're out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment