The Riot Squad - I'm Waiting For My Man

That enigmatic icon Mr David Bowie has been in the news a good deal recently.  First there was The Next Day and then, at the weekend, the brand new documentary on BBC2.  Now comes the news that Acid Jazz have discovered some almost-forgotten recordings from his pre-fame days, back in the sixties.

In 1967, Bowie was briefly in a band called The Riot Squad. Five of their tunes are to be released by Acid Jazz on 24 June.  The record is entitled The Toy Soldier ep and consists of Toy Soldier, Silly Boy Blue, I'm Waiting For My Man, Silver Treetop School and For Boys.

The version of I'm Waiting For My Man preceded the Velvet Underground recording and it adds some interesting insight into both Bowie's development as a singer and how the song evolved.  It's stunning, in my view, and has been played constantly since I discovered it.  Can't wait until the ep is released.

Find out more at the Acid Jazz website and Facebook page.



No comments:

Post a Comment